Location: Mexican States of Tabasco, Chiapas, Campeche, Yucatán, Quintana Roo, Veracruz, and Oaxaca
Event: Mexico has issued a tropical storm warning for Tropical Storm Cristobal for the coastal regions of Tabasco, Campeche, and Veracruz. Cristobal is expected to approach the coastal regions of Mexico along the Bay of Campeche this evening. Heavy rains and strong winds are expected across southern Mexico, which could cause life-threatening flash floods and landslides.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor the local news for updates, follow directions from local officials, and in case of emergency call 911.
- Monitor the U.S. National Hurricane Center, the Mexican National Meteorological Service (Servicio Meteorológico Nacional), and the Mexican Civil Protection Agency (Protección Civil) for updates on storm activity and emergency response.
- Keep your friends and loved ones up-to-date about your whereabouts – via phone, text, and social media – and let them know you are safe when possible.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Mexico.
- Visit the Department of State’s Hurricanes, Typhoons, and Cyclones page for more information.
- If you are a U.S. citizen traveling to or residing in Mexico, enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive safety messages and other travel information.
- For Emergency Assistance for U.S. citizens in Mexico, call +52-55-8526-2561 from Mexico or +1-844-528-6611 from the United States.
- The U.S. Embassy in Mexico City is located at:
Paseo de la Reforma 305
06500, Ciudad de México
- The U.S. Consulate General in Merida is located at:
- Calle 60 No. 338 K x 29 y 31
Col. Alcalá Martin
Mérida, Yucatan C.P. 97050
- State Department – Consular Affairs: +1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
- Follow the U.S. Embassy in Mexico on Facebook and Twitter.
- Review Mexico Country Information.
- Review the Crime and Safety Reports for Mexico.
- Prepare a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.