Actions to Take:
- Monitor the local news for updates, follow directions from local officials, and in case of emergency call 911.
- Monitor the U.S. National Hurricane Center, the Mexican National Meteorological Service (Servicio Meteorológico Nacional), and the Mexican Civil Protection Agency (Protección Civil) for updates on storm activity and emergency response.
- Keep your friends and loved ones up-to-date about your whereabouts – via phone, text, and social media – and let them know you are safe when possible.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Mexico.
- Visit the Department of State’s Hurricanes, Typhoons, and Cyclones page for more information.
- If you are a U.S. citizen traveling to or residing in Mexico, enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive safety messages and other travel information.
- For Emergency Assistance for U.S. citizens in Mexico, call +52-55-8526-2561 from Mexico or +1-844-528-6611 from the United States.
- The U.S. Consulate General in Merida is located at:
- State Department – Consular Affairs: +1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter. Follow the U.S. Embassy in Mexico on Facebook and Twitter.
- Review Mexico Country Information.
- Review the Crime and Safety Reports for Mexico.
- Prepare a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.