Location: Mexican States of Baja California Sur, Sinaloa, Durango, and Nayarit
Event: Tropical Storm Pamela is forecast to be a major hurricane when it reaches the coast of west-central Mexico on Wednesday, October 13, 2021. Pamela is expected to pass near or south of the southern tip of the Baja California peninsula as a hurricane Tuesday night. The storm is presently projected to make landfall Wednesday morning in Sinaloa near Mazatlan before passing over Durango. Hurricane and Tropical Storm Watches are in effect for portions of Sinaloa, Nayarit, and Baja California Sur. Heavy rains, strong winds, and heavy surf are expected, which could cause life-threatening flash floods and mudslides. Dangerous storm surges are possible that could raise water levels near the coast and be accompanied by large and dangerous waves.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor the local news for updates, follow directions from local officials, and in case of emergency, call 911.
- Some flights could be impacted. Check with your airline for updates.
- Monitor the National Hurricane Center and the Mexican National Meteorological Service (Servicio Meteorológico Nacional) for updates on storm activity and emergency response.
- Keep you friends and loved ones up to date about your whereabouts via phone, text, and social media – and let them know you are safe when possible.
- Visit our Embassy page on COVID-19 for information on COVID conditions in Mexico.
- Visit the Department of State’s Hurricanes, Typhoons, and Cyclones page for more information.
- If you are a U.S. citizen traveling to or residing in Mexico, enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive safety messages and other travel information.
- For Emergency Assistance for U.S. citizens in Mexico, call +52-55-8526-2561 from Mexico or +1-844-528-6611 from the United States.
- American Citizens Services Contact Form
- U.S. Consulate Tijuana is located at Paseo de las Culturas s/n, Mesa de Otay, Tijuana, Baja California, 22425
- U.S. Consulate Hermosillo is located at 141 Monterey Street, Col. Esqueda, Hermosillo, Sonora 83000
- Department of State – Consular Affairs: +1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
- Follow the U.S. Embassy in Mexico on Facebook and Twitter.
- Review Mexico Country Information.
- Review the Crime and Safety Reports for Mexico.
- Prepare a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.