Location: Sinaloa, Nayarit, Jalisco, Colima, and Baja California Sur, Mexico
Event: The National Hurricane Center (NHC) forecasts that Tropical Storm Orlene will become a hurricane on Saturday, October 1, and will make landfall on Monday, October 3, in Nayarit or southern Sinaloa. The Government of Mexico has issued a Hurricane Watch for Las Islas Marias, Nayarit, and a Tropical Storm Watch for the coast of mainland Mexico from Manzanillo, Colima to San Blas, Nayarit. U.S. citizens in states along the coast of western Mexico and the Islas Marias should monitor the progress of Orlene.
Actions To Take:
- Monitor local media for updates, follow directions from local officials, and in case of emergency, call 911.
- Seek shelter if needed.
- Flights could be impacted. Check with your airline for updates.
- Monitor the National Hurricane Center and the Mexican National Meteorological Service (Servicio Meteorológico Nacional) for updates on storm activity and emergency response.
- Keep friends and loved ones advised of your whereabouts via phone, text, and social media and let them know you are safe when possible.
- Visit the Department of State’s Hurricanes, Typhoons, and Cyclones page for more information.
From Mexico: (55) 8526 2561
From the United States: 1-844-528-6611
Department of State – Consular Affairs: +1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444