Tropical Storm Gamma – U.S. Consulate General Merida
Location: Yucatan Peninsula (Mexican states of Yucatan and Quintana Roo)
Event: Mexico has issued a hurricane warning for the Yucatan Peninsula from north of Punta Allen to Cancun, including Cozumel, and a tropical storm warning from Punta Herrero to Punta Allen and north and west of Cancun to Dzilam. A tropical storm watch remains in effect from south of Punta Herrero to Puerto Costa Maya and west of Dzilam to Progreso.
Tropical storm Gamma is expected to produce heavy rainfall for several days and over portions of southeastern Mexico, the Yucatan Peninsula, Central America, and far western Cuba. Gamma is near hurricane strength and will be near or at hurricane intensity when the center moves inland over the Yucatan Peninsula later today. Heavy rains, strong winds, and heavy surf are expected, which could cause life-threatening flash floods and mudslides.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor the local news for updates, follow directions from local officials, and in case of emergency call 911.
- Monitor the U.S. National Hurricane Center, the Mexican National Meteorological Service (Servicio Meteorológico Nacional), and the Mexican Civil Protection Agency (Protección Civil) for updates on storm activity and emergency response.
- Keep your friends and loved ones up to date about your whereabouts – via phone, text, and social media – and let them know you are safe when possible.
- Visit the Department of State’s Hurricanes, Typhoons, and Cyclones page for more information.
- If you are a U.S. citizen traveling to or residing in Mexico, enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program to receive safety messages and other travel information.
- For Emergency Assistance for U.S. citizens in Mexico, call +52-55-8526-2561 from Mexico or +1-844-528-6611 from the United States.
- The U.S. Embassy in Mexico City is located at:
- The U.S. Consulate General in Merida is located at:
- State Department – Consular Affairs: +1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
- Follow the U.S. Embassy in Mexico on Facebook and Twitter.
- Review Mexico Country Information.
- Review the Crime and Safety Reports for Mexico.
- Prepare a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.