Weather Alert – U.S. Consulates General Matamoros, Monterrey, and Nuevo Laredo, Mexico (July 25, 2020)
Location: Mexican States of Tamaulipas, Nuevo Leon, and Coahuila
Event: Mexico has issued a tropical storm warning for Hurricane Hanna for the States of Tamaulipas, Nuevo Leon, and Coahuila. Hanna is expected to make landfall this afternoon. Heavy rains and strong winds are expected across the warning area, which could cause life-threatening flash floods.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor the local news for updates, follow directions from local officials, and in case of emergency call 911.
- Monitor the U.S. National Hurricane Center, the Mexican National Meteorological Service (Servicio Meteorológico Nacional), and the Mexican Civil Protection Agency (Protección Civil) for updates on storm activity and emergency response.
- Keep your friends and loved ones up-to-date about your whereabouts – via phone, text, and social media – and let them know you are safe when possible.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Mexico.
- Visit the Department of State’s Hurricanes, Typhoons, and Cyclones page for more information.
- If you are a U.S. citizen traveling to or residing in Mexico, enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive safety messages and other travel information.
- For Emergency Assistance for U.S. citizens in Mexico, call +52-55-8526-2561 from Mexico or +1-844-528-6611 from the United States.
- The U.S. Consulate General in Matamoros is located at:
Calle Constitución No. 1
Phone: Within Mexico (868) 206 1076
From the U.S (844) 528 6611
- State Department – Consular Affairs: +1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
- Follow the U.S. Embassy in Mexico on Facebook and Twitter.
- Review Mexico Country Information.
- Review the Crime and Safety Reports for Mexico.
- Prepare a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.