Location: Mexican State of Baja California Sur
Event: Hurricane Olaf is forecast to strengthen on Thursday, September 9, 2021, as it approaches the southern end of the Baja peninsula. A hurricane watch and tropical storm warnings are in effect for portions of Baja California Sur through Saturday. Heavy rains and strong winds are expected, which could cause flash floods and mudslides. Dangerous storm surges could raise water levels near the coast, yielding life-threatening surf and rip current conditions.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor the local news for updates, follow directions from local officials, and in case of emergency, call 911.
- Some flights could be impacted. Check with your airline for updates.
- Monitor the National Hurricane Center and the Mexican National Meteorological Service (Servicio Meteorológico Nacional) for updates on storm activity and emergency response.
- Keep your friends and loved ones up-to-date about your whereabouts via phone, text, and social media – and let them know you are safe when possible.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on COVID conditions in Mexico.
- Visit the Department of State’s Hurricanes, Typhoons, and Cyclones page for more information.
- If you are a U.S. citizen traveling to or residing in Mexico, enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive safety messages and other travel information.
- For Emergency Assistance for U.S. citizens in Mexico, call +52-55-8526-2561 from Mexico or +1-844-528-6611 from the United States.
- American Citizen Services Contact Form
- The U.S. Consulate Tijuana is located at: Paseo de las Culturas s/n, Mesa de Otay, Tijuana, Baja California 22425
- State Department – Consular Affairs: +1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
- Follow the U.S. Embassy in Mexico on Facebook and Twitter.
- Review Mexico Country Information.
- Review the Crime and Safety Reports for Mexico.
- Prepare a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.