Location: Baja California Sur, Mexico
The National Hurricane Center has issued a Tropical Strom Warning for:
- San Evaristo southwardto Cabo San Lucas, Baja California Sur and Cabo San Lucas northwardto Cabo San Lazaro, Baja California Sur.
A Tropical Storm Watch is in effect for:
- North of San Evaristo northward to Loreto, Baja California Sur.
- North of Cabo San Lazaro northward to Punta Abreojos, Baja California Sur
The center of Hurricane Kay is expected to move to the west of the southern Baja California peninsula on Wednesday, September 7, and approach the west-central coast of the Baja California peninsula Wednesday night and Thursday, September 8.
Rain: Kay is expected to produce 4 to 8 inches of rainfall, with isolated storm total amounts of 12 inches, across portions of western Mexico, including the Baja California peninsula, through Thursday night, September 8. These rainfall amounts could lead to flash flooding, including landslides.
Wind: Tropical storm conditions are expected within the warning area in the southern Baja California peninsula beginning Wednesday morning, September 7. Tropical storm conditions are possible in the watch area in the southern Baja California peninsula by late Wednesday.
Surf: Large swells are beginning to reach the southern portion of the Baja California peninsula and are expected to spread northward and into the Gulf of California during the next few days. These swells will likely cause life-threatening surf and rip current conditions.
Actions To Take:
- Monitor the local news for updates, follow directions from local officials, and call 911 in case of emergency.
- Seek shelter if needed.
- Flights could be impacted. Check with your airline for updates.
- Monitor the National Hurricane Center and the Mexican National Meteorological Service (Servicio Meteorológico Nacional) for updates on storm activity and emergency response.
- Keep your friends and loved ones up to date about your whereabouts via phone, text, and social media and let them know you are safe when possible.
- Visit the Department of State’s Hurricanes, Typhoons, and Cyclones page for more information.
- If you are a U.S. citizen traveling to or residing in Mexico, enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive safety messages and other travel information.
From Mexico: (55) 8526 2561
From the United States: 1-844-528-6611
Department of State – Consular Affairs: +1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444