Location: Mexican State of Baja California Sur
Event: Mexico issued a Hurricane Watch in Baja California Sur from Los Barriles to Todos Santos. A Tropical Storm Warning is in effect for the southern portion of the Baja peninsula from Los Barriles to Puerto Cortes on the west coast. A Tropical Storm Watch is also in effect on the east coast from Los Barriles to La Paz and on the west coast from Puerto Cortes to Cabo San Lazaro. Hurricane Genevieve is deemed a category 3 storm, as of Wednesday morning. Tropical storm conditions likely will spread across southern Baja California Sur beginning Wednesday afternoon and continue through Thursday. The storm is forecast to move away from the peninsula on Friday.
Local officials recommend caution, as heavy rains, strong winds, and dangerous surf are expected, which could cause life-threatening flash floods and mudslides. Waves may reach 6-8 meters.
The Consular Agency in Los Cabos will remain available for emergency inquiries. Consulate General Tijuana continues normal operations.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor the U.S. National Hurricane Center, the Mexican National Meteorological Service (Servicio Meteorológico Nacional), the Baja California Sur Civil Protection Facebook page (Subsecretaría de Protección Civil BCS) and your local Mexican Civil Protection Agency (“Protección Civil”) for updates on storm activity and emergency response.
- Monitor the local news for updates, follow directions from local officials, and in case of emergency call 911. · Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive safety messages and other travel information. · Visit the Department of State’s Hurricanes, Typhoons, and Cyclones page for more information.
- U.S. Consulate General Tijuana, Mexico 664-748-0129 (from Mexico) 1-844-528-6611 (from the United States) E-mail: ACSTijuana@state.gov Website: U.S. Embassy Mexico City
- State Department – Consular Affairs 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Mexico Country Information
- Follow U.S. Department of State Travel.gov on Facebook and Twitter.
- Follow the U.S. Consulate Tijuana on Facebook and Twitter.