Weather Alert – U.S. Consulate General Merida, Mexico
Location: Mexican States of Campeche, Quintana Roo, and Yucatán
Event: Hurricane Delta has strengthened into a category four hurricane and is forecast to remain extremely dangerous when it approaches the Yucatán Peninsula the evening of October 6. Mexico has issued hurricane warnings for Delta across the Yucatán Peninsula. Cozumel International Airport closed at 1700 CDT. Cancun and Merida International Airports will remain operational while weather conditions permit. Heavy rains, strong winds, and turbulent surf are expected, which could cause life-threatening flash floods and landslides. In addition, a dangerous storm surge could raise water levels by as much as nine to thirteen feet. Near the coast, the surge will be accompanied by large and dangerous waves.
Actions to Take:
- If you are in the Cancun or Cozumel area, seek shelter. Each hotel is either a shelter or has a dedicated shelter for guests. Contact your hotel’s management for assistance.
- Monitor the local news for updates, follow directions from local officials, and in case of emergency call 911.
- Comision Nacional del Agua: Storm Alerts (Atlantic Ocean)
- Review the Quintana Roo Protección Civil Facebook, website, or call +52 (983) 833-0828 or +52 (983) 127-1140.
- Coordinacion General de Comunicacion Quintana Roo Facebook
- Monitor the U.S. National Hurricane Center and the Mexican National Meteorological Service (Servicio Meteorológico Nacional) for updates on storm activity and emergency response.
- Keep your friends and loved ones up-to-date about your whereabouts – via phone, text, and social media – and let them know you are safe when possible.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Mexico.
- Visit the Department of State’s Hurricanes, Typhoons, and Cyclones page for more information.
- If you are a U.S. citizen traveling to or residing in Mexico, enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive safety messages and other travel information.
- For Emergency Assistance for U.S. citizens in Mexico, call +52-55-8526-2561 from Mexico or +1-844-528-6611 from the United States.
- The U.S. Consulate General in Merida is located at:
Calle 60 No. 338-K x 29 y 31
Col. Alcala Martin
Merida, Yucatan, Mexico 9705
Phone: + 52 999-942-5700
- State Department – Consular Affairs: +1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
- Follow the U.S. Embassy in Mexico on Facebook and Twitter.
- Review Mexico Country Information.
- Review the Crime and Safety Reports for Mexico.
- Prepare a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.