An official website of the United States government

U.S. Consulate General Guadalajara


The United States Government has had representation in Guadalajara since 1881 in the form of a Consular Agency. In 1908, the post was elevated to a Consulate, and in 1960 the post became a Consulate General.

The Consular Agency was primarily concerned with the protection and promotion of U.S. commerce and industry and, of course, the welfare of United States citizens in the area. The United States’ trade, commercial and industrial interests in the area were quite extensive and included: sugar, mining, agriculture, banking, cattle, leather, electric and telephone installation and operation, and railroad development and operation.  In addition, many U.S. corporations established wholesale and retail outlets in the area.

Sections & Offices

Consular Section

The Consular Section processes U.S. citizenship applications, provides assistance to U.S. citizens, and processes non-immigrant visas for Mexican citizens.

Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA)

The DEA is the lead federal agency in enforcing narcotics and controlled substances laws and regulations.  DEA works closely with Mexican law enforcement agencies on issues of common concern.

Federal Benefits Unit

The Federal Benefits Unit (FBU) processes claims, accepts applications for Social Security cards for U.S. citizens and Mexican nationals who are entitled to work in the United States, and provides assistance in resolving any problems about entitlements.

Legal Attaché

The Legal Attaché Office works with their counterparts in the Mexican law enforcement community to locate, capture, and bring to justice criminals who have committed crimes in the United States.

Human Resources

The Human Resources Office is responsible for administering the personnel functions of the U.S. Mission. The Mission in Mexico may hire American citizens and Mexican citizens within the limitations set forth in U.S. government regulations.

Management/General Services Office

The Management Section of the Consulate provides logistical support (e.g. housing, transportation, facility management) for Consulate employees.

Public Affairs

The Office of Public Affairs handles all press, cultural, information, and educational programs of the U.S. government in Mexico in order to build greater understanding of the United States and its policies.

Regional Security

The Regional Security Office is responsible for the security of the Embassy, Consulates and their employees. It also works with local security officials to try toimprove security for U.S. visitors to Mexico.

Animal Plant Health Inspection (APHIS)

APHIS’ mission in Mexico is to facilitate trade between Mexico and the United States while preventing the spread of exotic pests and diseases of plants and animals, and to participate in cooperative efforts to control or eradicate pests of concern to Mexico and American agriculture.  The APHIS offices are located at Circuito Madrigal 4095, Fracc. San Wenceslao, Zapopan 45110. The telephone and fax number is 3641-8310.

U.S. Commercial Service

As part of the Department of Commerce, the mission of the U.S. Commercial Service is to promote the export of U.S. products and services to facilitate investment from foreign sources into the United States, and to protect U.S. commercial interests abroad.  The U.S. Commercial Service has offices at the U.S. Embassy in Mexico City, and at the U.S. Consulates in Guadalajara and Monterrey.

The U.S. Commercial Service in Guadalajara is responsible for activities in Jalisco and across much of Western Mexico.  The agency’s offices are located on the 4th. Floor of the Torre Pacífico at the World Trade Center, on Av. Mariano Otero No. 1249, Col. Rinconada del Bosque, 44530 Guadalajara, Jalisco.

Please visit the webpage of the U.S. Commercial Service in Mexico for further details and contact information:


Student Intern Program

The U.S. Consulate in Guadalajara is an equal opportunity employer.  All applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, social status, or political ideologies/affiliation.

Interested applicants must submit as an attachment through e-mail, a filled DS-174 form (Universal Application for Employment as Locally Employed Staff or Family Member) along with the required paperwork to hrgdl@state.gov. Please make sure to fill out the form DS-174, print, scan and send it to the above mail as an attachment.  DO NOT try to complete the form on-line and send it directly. The system does not allow this.

All ordinarily resident applicants must have the required work and/or residency permit to be eligible for consideration.

Please click below for more information on the available positions. If the page is blank, no positions are currently being advertised. Please revisit this site on a regular basis to check if new positions have opened.

LPR cards (Green Cards) Lost/Stolen/Expired

Dear resident if your Legal Permanent Resident card (commonly known as green card) got lost/stolen/expired will traveling in Mexico please read the following options carefully.

Please note: If you have been outside of the United States for more than 365 calendar days, you may no longer be in Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) status and must consult U.S. Citizens and Immigration Services (USCIS)  for further guidance by calling the USCIS Contact Center at +1 (212) 620-3418.

If you are an LPR who has been outside of the United States for fewer than 365 days, below are three options for returning to the United States:

  1. Apply for admission directly with Customs and Border Protection at a land port of entry.  More information is available about land ports of entry at: http://www.cbp.gov/contact/ports 
  2. Ask your airline to call the Regional Carrier Liaison Group in Miami and seek permission to board without an entry document.  The airline retains ultimate authority to board or deny boarding. This is a service provided by the airline to the passenger.  The U.S. Embassy is not involved in the process.  More information is available at: http://www.cbp.gov/travel/travel-industry-personnel/carrier-liaison-prog 
  3. Apply for a boarding foil (one-time entry) with the U.S. Embassy.  To do this please follow the steps below:

If requesting a boarding foil, the Embassy will provide you with an appointment for an interview only after you have completed the steps in Option 3 above.  If your boarding foil is approved at the time of your interview, it will require two business days to print.  A boarding foil is valid for one-time entry to the United States within one month of approval.  The fee for the appointment is non-refundable regardless of the decision rendered.  Do not make travel plans until you have received your boarding foil.

You may find additional general information and the instructions for the I-131A at https://www.uscis.gov/i-131a 

Our Location

U.S. Consulate General Guadalajara