Studying in the U.S.

If you are a student, we will make every effort to ensure that you get an appointment and, if qualified, a visa in time to start classes.

U.S. immigration law provides two nonimmigrant visa categories for study in the United States. The “F” visa is for academic studies, and the “M” visa is for nonacademic or vocational studies.

In order to obtain a student visa, you must first apply to and be accepted at a school in the U.S. Once you have been accepted, the school will forward you a form called the I-20 or I-20M. You must present this form in order to get a visa.


Required Documentation:

  1. Valid Passport
  2. The DS-160 application form confirmation page
  3. Original Bank Receipt for Application Fee
  4. Completed SEVIS Form: I-20A-B (for F1 or F3 students) or Form I-20M-N (for M-1 students) properly completed and signed by both the Designated School Official (DSO) and the applicant. More information on SEVISNOTE:  You must bring the original I-20 with original signatures.
  5. SEVIS Fee Receipt: Most J, F, and M applicants must pay a SEVIS fee.  Please bring an electronic receipt or I-797 receipt to your interview. Information on how to pay the SEVIS fee.
  6. Proof that you can pay for the first year of the program.

Optional Documentation:

  1. Passports containing all previous U.S. visas or BCCs, even if expired
  2. Birth certificate (original or certified copy)
  3. Voter Registration Card (IFE/INE) if 18 or over

The above items should not be considered an exhaustive list and presentation of these documents does not guarantee visa issuance.  Be prepared to explain to the visa officer and present evidence regarding why you are going to the US and why you will return to Mexico.

NOTICE: International students in the United States are welcome to renew their student visas in Mexico.