An official website of the United States government

Filing an Immigrant Visa Petition DS-117
Immigrant visas

Filing an Immigrant Visa Petition DS-117

If you wish to apply for a Returning Resident (SB-1) immigrant visa, you should contact the U.S. Consulate General in Ciudad Juarez in advance of your intended travel (at least three months in advance, if possible) to permit sufficient time for visa processing.  As part of the visa application process, an interview at the U.S. Consulate is required.  In order for us to schedule an appointment for you to submit your Form DS-117 (Application to Determine Returning Resident Status) to a Consular Officer, please send us an email to CDJReturningResident@state.gov Due to security concerns and space constraints, only those with appointments will be admitted.

Required Documentation

Applicants must appear in person to file a DS-117 and pay the application fee.  Do not schedule an appointment until you have read the instructions carefully and assembled ALL the necessary documents on the DS-117 Checklist below.

DS-117 Checklist of Necessary Supporting Documents

  • Any foreign language document must be accompanied by a full English translation that the translator has certified as complete and correct.  The translator must certify that he/she is competent to translate the foreign language into English.  It is not necessary to have the translation notarized.
  • It is strongly recommended that applicants keep a duplicate file copy of all documents submitted in connection with the application.  The consulate does not provide copying services.

Form DS-117Completed Application to Determine Returning Resident Status.

Form I-551 and/or Form I-327, if available: Original “green card” and/or “re-entry permit”, if available.

Applicant’s original passport(s): Current and/or old passport(s) showing your identity, admission into the United States as a legal permanent resident.

Proof of ties to the United States and the intent to return, such as U.S. tax returns and evidence of economic, family, and social ties to the United States.

Evidence of stay abroad for reasons beyond the applicant’s control: Evidence that the protracted stay abroad was beyond your control.

Fee: The current DS-117 filing fee is USD $180 per applicantPlease note that this fee is non-refundable and must be paid directly to our consular cashier on the day of your appointmentThe fee may only be paid in cash (U.S. dollars or Mexican pesos), by debit or credit card, cashier’s check or money order.


  1. Payment by credit card is billed in U.S. dollars.
  2. O NOT pay the fee through the Non-Immigrant visa Web site.  Application fees paid for the wrong visa category will not be accepted and cannot be refunded.
  3. 3This fee is non-refundable, regardless of any action taken on your petition.

English translations of all documents written in a foreign language


< Previous: Returning Resident Visa

Next: Apply for an SB-1 Immigrant Visa >