Spouse and Children of an E Visa Principal Applicant


Spouses and children under the age of 21, regardless of nationality, can apply for and receive E visas to accompany or follow to join the principal alien in the United States.  Derivatives receive the same visa classification as the principal alien.  Spouses interested in employment while in the U.S. must seek work authorization prior to commencing any employment.

If you are including a spouse or children on your application as the principal alien, you should include relevant documents establishing your relationship, such as a marriage certificate or birth certificates.

If you are applying only as the spouse or child of an alien who has already been issued an E visa and whose E visa remains valid, you do not need to submit a full binder. Rather, please submit the following documents:

  • Valid passport;
  • The DS-160 application form confirmation page;
  • The DS-156E application form;
  • A letter of agreement* between the investor and any legal representative (Form G-28 if the representative is an attorney) signed by both parties and including a contact email address and phone number;
  • Color copies of the bio data page of the principal alien’s passport and the visa;
  • A copy of any changes or extensions of status granted by USCIS (Form I-797);
  • A signed statement of intent to depart the United States upon termination of status;
  • Documents demonstrating a valid relationship between the spouse or child and the principal applicant, such as a marriage certificate or birth certificate;
  • A passport-size photo of each applicant. (See: photo requirements).

Please note: A full binder is required in applications where the principal applicant’s visa has expired.