Media and Journalists

I Visas (Media Representative).

Employees of magazines, newspapers, television & radio networks, and other media organizations who will go to the U.S. in order to report on actual current events as they occur and develop can be issued I visas. No petition is required

B Visas

Media representatives going to the U.S. to attend meetings as ordinary participants or to purchase/sell media equipment/broadcast rights are considered ordinary business visitors and can travel using B visitor visas.

H, P, O, L, Q Visas

Media representatives who will travel to the U.S. in order to participate in the production of artistic media content (in which actors are used) require a petition approved in advance by INS before applying for visas.

Depending on circumstances, H or P classification is most common for this type of activity, but O, L, and Q petitions may be appropriate in some circumstances.  Television, radio, and film production companies may wish to seek expert counsel from an immigration attorney who specializes in media work for specific advice tailored to the project at hand.

Required Documentation:

  1. Valid Passport
  2. The DS-160 application form confirmation page
  3. Original Bank Receipt for Application Fee
  4. Letter from Employer: A letter from your employer stating occupation, whether your position is permanent or temporary, purpose of travel, and length of stay.
  5. Press ID: The press credential issued by your employer.

Optional Documentation:

Optional documentation can vary depending on the applicant’s personal situation. The following are mere suggestions that may help the officer to assess your intentions to return to Mexico and is not an exhaustive list of what applicants should present to their interview.

  1. Passports containing all previous U.S. visas, even if expired
  2. Birth certificate (original or certified copy)
  3. Voter Registration Card (IFE) if 18 or over
  4. Proof of Finances (bank statements, Cedula Fiscal, tax documents)
  5. Proof of Education (school diploma, Cedula Profesional)
  6. Proof of Employment (pay slips, company credential, letter from Human Resources Department)