An official website of the United States government

Filing an Immigrant Petition for a Fiancé(e) Visa
Immigrant visas

Step 1: File an I-129F petition

The first step in applying for a fiancé(e) visa is for the U.S. citizen fiancé(e) (the petitioner) to file a Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e) with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS).  This petition must be filed with USCIS in the United States.  It cannot be filed with the Consulate General.  For more information on how to file Form I-129F please visit the USCIS website.  For information on the USCIS processing times for I-129F petitions, click here.

Unmarried children of a K-1 visa beneficiary who are under the age of twenty-one are eligible to derive status through their parent (the beneficiary).  Children’s names must be included in the petition.  If the U.S. citizen is the natural father or mother of the child, the child may already have claim to U.S. citizenship and may be eligible for a U.S. passport.  In such cases, please contact the American Citizen Services office at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate nearest to you.

If you plan to return to your permanent place of residence outside the United States after the marriage ceremony in the United States, you may wish to apply for a B-2 visa. A fiancé(e) visa is only necessary if you plan to live full time in the United States.  If the marriage will take place outside the United States and you plan to live full time in the United States, you will need an immigrant visa.

Step 2: Approval Notice from USCIS

Once the petition is approved by USCIS, the I-797 Notice of Approval will be mailed to the U.S. citizen petitioner or the petitioner’s attorney.  The approved petition is then sent to the National Visa Center (NVC) in New Hampshire for additional processing before being forwarded to the Consulate.

Validity of the Approved I-129F Petition.

The approved I-129F petition is valid for four months.  If the petition expires, a consular officer may revalidate it at the visa interview for another four (4) months provided that both parties remain legally free to marry.  Your revalidation request can only be reviewed at your visa interview, and there is no action required from the applicant or petitioner beforehand.


< Previous: Fiancé(e) Visa

Next: The Interview >