An official website of the United States government

U.S. Visa Services
Visit the United States


Non-Immigrant Visas 

The U.S. Embassy and Consulates in Mexico have resumed limited processing of nonimmigrant visas.  Applicants should expect a longer-than-normal wait time for this service and plan accordingly.  Applicants applying in the same visa class and whose previous visa expired within the last 48 months may be eligible for interview waiver.  Applicants may schedule a renewal appointment here.   

The U.S. Department of State has extended the validity of visa payments (known as the MRV fee) until September 30, 2022, to allow all applicants who were unable to schedule a visa appointment as a result of the suspension of routine consular operations an opportunity to schedule and/or attend a visa appointment with the paid fee.   

Current Visa Services

June 23, 2021
Interview Waiver
and Renewals 
First Time 
Student Visas
(F, M, J) 
Work Visas
(H1B, L, TN) 
E1 and E2 H2 
Ciudad Juarez Yes No Yes Yes E2 only No
Guadalajara Yes No Yes Yes NoNo
Hermosillo Yes No Yes Yes NoYes 
Matamoros Yes No YesYes NoYes 
Merida Yes No Yes Yes NoNo
Mexico City Yes No Yes Yes E2 only No
Monterrey Yes No Yes Yes E1 only Yes
Nogales Yes No YesYesNoYes
Nuevo Laredo Yes No Yes Yes NoYes
Tijuana Yes No Yes Yes E1 only Yes

* Please note that all services listed above are very limited in availability, and applicants may experience significant delays for visa appointments.  

Expedited/Emergency Appointments: If applicants have an urgent need for travel, they may request an emergency appointment by following the guidance found here. 

Third Country Nationals:  Routine appointments for applicants not ordinarily resident in Mexico are not available at this time.  Any applicant currently residing in the United States who seeks to extend their legal stay should contact U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services here.  Additional information can be found here. 

Applicants entering the Embassy or Consulates must wear a face mask at all times and follow social distancing protocols.  Any applicant with symptoms such as a cough, sore throat, or fever must reschedule their interview by following the instructions here or by contacting us here.   

For questions about specific visa cases in progress, please contact us here. 

Immigrant Visas 

The U.S. Consulate General in Ciudad Juarez has resumed routine immigrant visa operations, scheduling thousands of socially distanced interviews each week in ALL immigrant visa categories. For more information or instructions on requesting an emergency appointment, please follow the guidance here.   

K-1 Fiancé(e) Visas:  K-1 applicants with cases at NVC are being scheduled for appointments at the U.S. Embassy in Mexico City in the order the cases were documentarily completed.  Those applicants should contact NVC with any questions. 

Important Notice about Immigrant Visas

Visit this link for more information about immigrant visa operations at the Consulate in Ciudad Juarez.

Our Locations
The U.S. Mission to Mexico comprises the Embassy in Mexico City, nine consulates and nine consular agencies.

U.S. Embassy Mexico City

U.S. Consulate General in Ciudad Juarez

U.S. Consulate General in Guadalajara

U.S. Consulate General in Hermosillo

U.S. Consulate General in Matamoros

U.S. Consulate General in Merida

U.S. Consulate General in Monterrey

U.S. Consulate General in Nogales

U.S. Consulate General in Nuevo Laredo

U.S. Consulate General in Tijuana

What is a Visa?

A citizen of a foreign country who seeks to enter the United States generally must first obtain a U.S. visa, which is placed in the traveler’s passport, a travel document issued by the traveler’s country of citizenship.

Certain international travelers may be eligible to travel to the United States without a visa if they meet the requirements for visa-free travel.  The Visa section of this website is all about U.S. visas for foreign citizens to travel to the United States.

Note: U.S. citizens do not need a U.S. visa for travel but when planning travel abroad may need a visa issued by the embassy of the country they wish to visit.

Do You Already Know What Type of Visa You Need?

For nonimmigrant visas, you can go directly to the online application for the DS-160; or for immigrant visas, directly to the USCIS site for the relevant forms.  If you are unsure, please use the Visa Wizard below to help you determine your visa type.

Sand Dunes