An official website of the United States government

Victims of Crime
April 6, 2021

Information for U.S. citizens victims of crime in Mexico

We will help you in managing the practical consequences of being a crime victim, and provide you with information about contacting the local criminal justice system, as well as other resources for crime victims abroad and in the United States. We can help you to better understand the criminal justice system in Mexico, which is very different from the system in the United States.

Resources for Victims of Crime

Information on Filing a Police Report and Seeking Prosecution (PDF)

Medical Assistance

List of Attorneys    You may want to consider hiring a Mexican attorney to pursue your interests with the courts or ministerio publico.

Replace a lost or stolen passport

Information on Mexican Legal Procedures (PDF)

The Mexican government does not provide monetary compensation to crime victims. Unlike the system in the United States, where compensation payments and victim assistance services are made possible through public funds, in Mexico only the perpetrator has a legal obligation to pay for damages. Programs in some Mexican states provide victims with psychological, legal, and medical assistance, but this varies across Mexico.

Whether or not you decide to pursue your case through the Mexican judicial system, you may access victim compensation and assistance resources in the United States. Nearly half of the state crime victims’ compensation programs cover certain out-of-pocket expenses such as medical, funeral, counseling, and lost wages for eligible residents of the state who become victims of crime outside the U.S. The specific requirements and services vary from state to state. Information can be obtained through the state crime victims program in your state of residence.

Contact information for all state compensation programs can be found at the web site of the National Association of Crime Victim Compensation Board.