Acting Under Secretary of International Trade Ken Hyatt and Principal Deputy Assistant Secretary Paula Gant held strategic energy industry meetings
WASHINGTON – Commerce Acting Under Secretary for International Trade Ken Hyatt and Energy Principal Deputy Assistant Secretary for International Affairs Paula Gant today launched the inaugural meeting of the U.S.-Mexico Energy Business Council in Mexico City. As co-chairs, Hyatt and Gant lead 20 private-sector and government representatives from the energy industry from both countries. The council was a major outcome of the January 6, 2015 U.S.-Mexico High Level Economic Dialogue (HLED).
“Working with Mexico’s Ministries of Economy and Energy means that this council is well-positioned to assist the development of the important and growing energy sector,” Hyatt said. “This council will be a robust opportunity for the United States and Mexico to continue to deepen our commercial relationship.”
Mexico’s ambitious energy sector reforms are helping to advance the country’s goals of a more diversified and competitive market, particularly in the renewable energy sector. This council will enhance the profile of the energy sector, promote energy trade, and help ensure that the two countries will continue to work together in the future.
The Council is tasked with providing recommendations on improving the commercial and investment climates, reducing harmful emissions, and enhancing collective energy security, among other thematic areas. Recommendations must be agreed to by both countries and endorsed by both the U.S. and Mexican sections; the first round will be provided by May of 2017.
The U.S. Section is composed of the following:
- Julian Alzate, Director of International Operations, Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories, Inc.
- Leslie Beyer, President, Petroleum Equipment and Services Association
- Craig Breese, President of Honeywell Mexico, Honeywell International Inc.
- Matt Card, Executive Vice President for Commercial Operations, Suniva, Inc.
- Hunter Hunt, Chief Executive Officer, Hunt Consolidated Energy, LLC
- Arturo Infanzon, Chief Financial Officer, IEnova (Sempra Energy)
- Carlos Leipner, Vice President for Latin America, Westinghouse Electric Company, LLC
- Robert Moran, Vice President for Government and External Affairs, Halliburton
- Vernon Murray, Vice President & General Manager for Mexico and Northern Latin America, Emerson Process Management
- Darryl Wilson, Vice President and Chief Commercial Officer, GE Energy Connections