Event: Mexican authorities carried out a high-profile security operation today.
We would like U.S. citizens to be aware that, following previous high-profile security operations, criminal groups operating in Jalisco have responded by taking retaliatory actions including an increase in anti-government rhetoric (banners and internet threats) and blockades inside the city and on interstate highways. On some occasions, these criminals have seized private vehicles and set them on fire. Traffic typically backs up behind these blockades, rendering the affected thoroughfares unusable.
Suggested Possible Actions to Take:
- Monitor the local news for updates and maintain situational awareness.
- Minimize travel and monitor news before driving anywhere.
- Shelter in residences.
- Ensure vehicles have a full tank of gas.
- Exercise caution while moving around the metropolitan Guadalajara area.
- Avoid going out after dark.
- Follow directions from local officials.
- Report disturbances to the U.S. Consulate via the contact information below.
- U.S. Consulate General, Guadalajara
Within Mexico: 01-334-624-2102
From the United States: 1-844-528-6611
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Mexico Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.