Child’s Passport Under age 16

Renew a Child’s Passport (under age 16)

All minor children, including newborns and infants, must have their own U.S. passports.

All children under age 16 must appear in person with appropriate documentation and with both parents.  Parental consent and signatures are mandatory for passport issuance for minors under age 16 and for renewals.

Need a first passport for your newborn child?  Please visit our Consular Report of Birth Abroad and First Passport webpage.

Please identify your nearest office an book an appointment.

Note: If you do not already have a first passport for your child, there are special requirements to apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad and first passport for newborns and infants.

We require that you enter your child’s personal information on Form DS-11 (PDF-192 kb) using the online passport wizard. Be sure to answer all questions accurately as any mistakes may result in a delay. Check that you are using the correct form here (PDF-192 kb). Print one-sided pages only.  DO NOT SIGN.

Submit Child’s Current Passport (if applicable) AND 1 photocopy


U.S. law requires that all parents listed on the birth certificate or all legal guardians provide consent authorizing passport issuance for minors ages 15 and under. For applicants ages 16-17, those with their own valid government ID can apply for a passport by themselves.  However, it is recommended that at least one parent appear in person with the child to identify him/her and to show parental awareness.  Please see below for an explanation of the different ways parents can give consent:

  1. Both parents will appear together and sign the applicants form (DS-11) in the presence of a Consular Officer or;
  2. One parent appears and signs and submits the non-appearing parent’s signed, notarized “Form DS-3053 Statement of Consent” which authorizes passport issuance for the child, together with the non-appearing parent’s signed photo identification (copy of original document)

The non-appearing parent’s signature may be certified by:

Note: The written consent from the non-applying parent that accompanies an application for a new passport must be less than 3 months old; or

  1. One parent with sole legal custody, or a third party (in Loco Parentis applying on behalf of a minor under the age of 16) must refer to the State Department webpage entry Provide Parental Consent for necessary, mandatory documentation.

You must submit original documents AND one photocopy.

Submit your child’s last issued U.S. Passport AND one of the documents below:

 Evidence of U.S. Citizenship; present originals AND one photocopy; 

  • Original, or certified U.S. Birth Certificate (showing both parents’ names) issued by the city, county or state if your child was born in the United States;
  • Original Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Birth Certificate if your child was born abroad (if you have Reports of Birth issued for other children, please bring original AND 1 photocopy); or
  • Original Naturalization Certificate, or
  • Original Certificate of Citizenship.

Evidence of relationship between the minor and parents/guardians

  • Evidence of the relationship between the minor and parents or guardians (such as a birth certificate or court order of legal custody) and the valid government-issued photo identification for both parents/guardians signing.

You must submit original document AND 1 photocopy. 

  • Previously issued, undamaged U.S. or foreign passport, or
  • Original Naturalization Certificate, or
  • Current Government Employee ID (city, state or federal), or
  • Current Military ID (military and dependents).

U.S. Social Security number:

Providing the child’s U.S. Social Security number in box # 5 is mandatory if your child has been issued a number.  If you have not filed for a Social Security number for your child, and do not wish to obtain one, then you should fill in the passport application SSN box # 5 with zeros.

You MUST also fill out and SSN Declaration (PDF-80 kb) for your child and submit it with the passport application. Please indicate your child’s name and sign the form indicating “name of parent on behalf on my child” prior to submission.  Absence of the form will result in a delay of passport adjudication.

Please contact the Federal Benefits Unit in order to obtain a social security number.

  • Submit one current U.S. standard size passport photograph for biometric passports.  Mexican passport photographs are NOT acceptable for U.S. passport issuance. All photos must have a white, light or neutral off white background. Do NOT staple the photo to your application.
  • If the passport being renewed contains a photo that does not clearly resemble the applicant, i.e., baby photo in passport, you MUST provide transition photos.
  • Examples of secondary identification include school records with a photo and the applicant’s name. Examples of secondary birth records include vaccination records, a hospital birth certificate with footprint, hospital bills and bracelets, or baptism certificates from the United States.


  • Passport book $115 dollars
  • Passport card $50 dollars
  • Passport book and card $130 dollars (same day)

Passport fees depend on a number of factors. See Passport Fees to find your fess and methods of payment.

Important: There’s no expedite service in Mexico. You won’t be able to pay an additional $60 for each application for the service.

You can pay with cash (US Dollars or Mexican Pesos) or credit card.

NOTE: Some offices also require you to bring a pre-paid courier envelope to your interview; please check the requirements for each office here.