Apply for a U.S. Passport

Welcome to the Passport & Citizenship Unit of the U.S. Embassy in Mexico City.  We provide services for United States Citizens in Mexico from our offices in Mexico City, Ciudad Juarez, Guadalajara, Hermosillo, Matamoros, Merida, Monterrey, Nogales, Nuevo Laredo, and Tijuana.


There is no walk-in service for U. S. citizens. All applicants, including adult or minor passport renewals and replacement of emergency passports, require an appointment.
You can make an appointment at your nearest office.

This section is for you and you must apply with a DS-11 Form:

  • If you are applying for your first U.S. passport
  • You are under age 16
  • Your previous U.S passport was issued when you were under age 16
  • Your previous U.S. passport was lost, stolen, or damaged
  • Your previous U.S. passport was issued more than 15 years ago

*If none of the above statements apply to you, you may be eligible to use Form DS-82 to renew your passport. Which form should I use?

Please read these instructions carefully before coming to your appointment, as failure to arrive prepared may result in you having to make a new appointment on a different day. You must provide copies of all documents presented. If you do not come with all of the documents required at the time you enter the U.S. Embassy, Consulate, or Consular Agency, you may be requested to re-schedule your appointment for a later date.

You need to arrive 15 minutes before your appointment time to ensure you are through the security line in time. Do not arrive more than 15 minutes before your scheduled appointment. If you arrive more than 15 late to your scheduled appointment, you may be asked to schedule an appointment for another day.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Minor children have other additional requirements that you should familiarize yourself with.

WARNING: False statements made knowingly and willfully in passport applications, including affidavits or other documents submitted to support this application, are punishable by fine and/or imprisonment under U.S. law including the provisions of 18 U.S.C. 1001, 18 U.S.C. 1542, and/or 18 U.S.C. 1621. All statements and documents are subject to verification.

How to Apply:

DS-11 Form (PDF- 104 KB)

Please, do not sign your form.

a. Provide Evidence of U.S. Citizenship

You must submit one of the following. Your evidence must be an original or certified copy. Photocopies and notarized copies are not acceptable.

  • Fully-valid, undamaged U.S. passport (may be expired)
  • U.S. birth certificate (only long form) that meets the following requirements:
    • Issued by the city, county, or state of birth
    • Lists your full name, date of birth, and place of birth
    • Lists your parent(s)’ full names
    • Has the date filed with registrar’s office (must be within one year of birth)
    • Has the registrar’s signature
    • Has the seal of the issuing authority
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Certificate of Citizenship
  • Previous U.S. passport

If you cannot submit one of the above acceptable documents, or for more information, please see Citizenship Evidence.

b. Present ID

You must present one of the following identification documents (IDs) to the acceptance agent. The ID must readily identify you.

  • Fully-valid, undamaged U.S. passport (may be expired)
  • Fully-valid U.S. driver’s license
  • Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship
  • Government employee ID (city, county, state or federal)
  • U.S. military ID or military dependent ID
  • Valid foreign passport
  • Matricula Consular (Mexican Consular Identification, commonly used by the parent of a U.S. citizen child applicant)

If you cannot present one of the IDs above, or for more information, please see Identification.

Please note that adults who are first-time applicants should also provide multiple identity documents dating back from childhood to the current date.

If you have undergone or are going through gender transition, please see these additional requirements

Get your photo. You need one 2” by 2” passport photo. See Passport Photos for requirements and photo examples. NOTE: When having photos taken in Mexico, you need a U.S. passport-sized (5 by 5 cm), as Mexican passport-sized photos are incorrect.

Please take into account that there’s no photo service at our offices.

  • Passport book $145 dollars
  • Passport card $65 dollars
  • Passport book and card $175 dollars (same day)

Passport fees depend on a number of factors. See Passport Fees to find your fess and methods of payment.

Important: There’s no expedite service in Mexico. You won’t be able to pay an additional $60 for each application for the service.

You can pay with cash (US Dollars or Mexican Pesos) or credit card.

NOTE: Some offices also require you to bring a pre-paid courier envelope to your interview; please check the requirements for each office here.

Types of Passports available for you

U.S. Passport Book

Used for International travel by air, sea, or land.

U.S. Passport Card

Used For Entering the United States at land border crossings and sea ports-of-entry from:

  • Canada
  • Mexico
  • The Caribbean
  • Bermuda

The passport card cannot be used for international air travel.