Medical Practitioners

Please note: The Department of State assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the entities or individuals whose names appear on the following lists. Inclusion on this list is in no way an endorsement by the Department or the U.S. government. Names are listed alphabetically, and the order in which they appear has no other significance. The information on the list is provided directly by the local service providers; the Department is not in a position to vouch for such information.

The information below relates to medical practitioners in Mexico City and the surrounding area (states of Chiapas, Guanajuato, Guerrero, Estado de Mexico, Hidalgo, Michoacan, Morelos, Oaxaca, Puebla, Queretero, Tabasco, the city of Tampico, and the states of Tlaxcala, and Veracruz).

To find medical practitioners in other areas of Mexico, please visit our Find Your Consular District page, which will direct you to the consulate or consular agency closest to you.

Embassy Responsibility
If an American citizen becomes seriously ill or injured abroad, a U.S. consular officer can assist in locating appropriate medical services and informing family or friends.  If necessary, a consular officer can also assist in the transfer of funds from the United States.  However, payment of hospital and other expenses is the responsibility of the traveler.

Be Prepared
To facilitate identification in case of an accident, complete the information page on the inside of your passport providing the name, address and telephone number of someone to be contacted in an emergency.

Health Insurance
Before going abroad, learn what medical services your health insurance will cover overseas. If your health insurance policy provides coverage outside the United States, remember to carry both your insurance policy identity card as proof of such insurance and a claim form.  Although many health insurance companies will pay “customary and reasonable” hospital costs abroad, very few will pay for your medical evacuation back to the United States.  Medical evacuation can easily cost $10,000 and up, depending on your location and medical condition. 

Medicare and other Social Security Programs

Medicare coverage outside of the United States (PDF – 211kb) is very limited and in nearly all situations does not provide coverage for hospital or medical costs in Mexico. The Veterans Affairs health care program only reimburses registrants in the Foreign Medical Program for eligible health care costs in Mexico.

Senior citizens may wish to contact the American Association of Retired Persons (AARP) for information about foreign medical care coverage with Medicare supplement plans.

More information is available on the internet at

Hospitals in Mexico City (English Spoken)
The U.S. Embassy Mexico City does not assume responsibility for the professional ability or integrity of the persons or firms whose names appear on the following list.  The ACS Unit cannot recommend a particular physician and assumes no responsibility for the quality of service provided.