New Online CRBA Application Feature

U.S. Embassy Mexico City now offers the ability to apply electronically for your child’s Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA). To apply, your child must have been born in MEXICO and you must attend an in-person interview at the U.S. Embassy Mexico City.

Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) is a formal document certifying the acquisition of United States citizenship at birth for a person born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or parents who meet the requirements for transmitting citizenship under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).  United States non-citizen nationals are also eligible for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, using the non-citizen option. CRBA applications must be made before the child’s 18th birthday.  We recommend that parents apply for the CRBA as soon as possible after the child’s birth.

This new process will allow U.S. citizen parents to complete a CRBA application online, upload all required documents, and submit payment prior to the in-person interview. The easy-to-use online application process provides applicants step-by-step instructions on how to complete the CRBA application.

Criteria Check

To be eligible to apply for a CRBA online at the U.S. Embassy in Mexico City, you MUST answer YES to all of the following statements:

  • The child was born in Mexico.
  • The child is under the age of 18.
  • You are a biological parent or legal guardian of the child.
  • At least one parent was a U.S. Citizen or U.S. Non-Citizen National when the child was born.
  • You did not use Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART) to conceive the child.
  • You can use a credit card or a direct payment from your U.S. bank account (also known as “ACH”), to pay online.

To apply for a CRBA online, you need to create a MyTravelGov account.  MyTravelGov is a secured, encrypted portal.  Complete the online application and submit payment.  Once your payment is processed (up to 72 hours later), the U.S. Embassy in Mexico City will contact you to schedule your appointment at the Embassy.

Passport applications and Social Security Card applications must be completed and submitted separately.   

Note:  If you cannot use the CRBA online service, click here for more information on completing the paper application (DS-2029) and contact us at to make an appointment.