U.S. Consular Report of Birth Abroad


A child born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or parents may acquire U.S. citizenship at birth if certain statutory requirements are met.  The child’s parents should contact the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate to apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America (CRBA) to document that the child is a U.S. citizen. If the U.S. embassy or consulate determines that the child acquired U.S. citizenship at birth, a consular officer will approve the CRBA application and the Department of State will issue a CRBA, also called a Form FS-240, in the child’s name.
Failure to promptly document a child who meets the statutory requirements for acquiring U.S. citizenship at birth may cause problems for the parents and the child when attempting to establish the child’s U.S. citizenship and eligibility for the rights and benefits of U.S. citizenship, including entry into the United States.

*By law, U.S. citizens, including dual nationals, must use a U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States.

WARNING: False statements made knowingly and willfully in passport applications, including affidavits or other documents submitted to support this application, are punishable by fine and/or imprisonment under U.S. law including the provisions of 18 U.S.C. 1001, 18 U.S.C. 1542, and/or 18 U.S.C. 1621. All statements and documents are subject to verification.


There is no walk-in service for U. S. citizens who require a service related to passports, citizenship or birth registration. Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) applications are taken by appointment only. If you were given 90 days to provide additional evidence, please schedule a new appointment selecting the option apply for a second passport. 

We require the CRBA application DS-2029 filled on computer and printed or by hand on one-sided pages only.

The passport application DS-11(can be be completed online) or printed and filled by hand on one-sided pages only.

The application form for the Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) is called DS-2029.

We require you to complete the DS-2029 application and printed on one-sided pages or by hand. Please do not sign it.

Do not leave any items blank. For any question that does not apply, mark “N/A” (not applicable). Click to view a sample completed DS-2029 (PDF 1.4MB) and a guide of DS-2029 questions translated into Spanish (PDF 1.25MB).

Mexico City is now offering the ability to apply for a CRBA online (interview required in Mexico City).  Please see this page for more information.

Name of child: Some parents prefer the name to appear on the U.S. documents using the naming convention of only the paternal last name. For instance, the child’s name on Mexican documents is listed as Mary Jane REED SMITH, but U.S. documents may only show Mary Jane REED (without the second/maternal last name of SMITH). If you would like your child’s name on the U.S. documents to be different from your child’s name in Mexico, please complete form DS-60 Affidavit Regarding a Change of Name (PDF 504.3KB).

The application form for the minor’s passport is called DS-11.This form can be fulfilled online or by hand. Please do not sign it.

Do not leave any items blank. For any question that does not apply, mark “N/A” (not applicable). Click to view a sample completed DS-11 (PDF, 645KB). Please enter 000-00-0000 for the child’s Social Security Number. If approved, the Consular Officer will give you the option to return to the cashier and pay for the passport application.

Provide Supporting Documents and photocopies of each:

  1. Proof of citizenship of the U.S. citizen parent(s). Examples of acceptable proof: a current passport, U.S. birth certificate, or naturalization certificate. Please bring the original document AND one photocopy;
  2. Identification document of the non-U.S. parent (ie, current passport, IFE, INE, cartilla militar);
  3. One copy of child’s foreign birth certificate;
  4. One standard U.S. passport photo; completing

On the day of your appointment, you will need all of the following and submit photocopies of each for your child’s file:

Child’s original Mexican birth certificate issued by the civil registry. You should request the “book true copy” (“copia fiel del libro”) (PDF 300KB) version. We do not accept short-form/extract versions (“extractos”) nor “interesado” copies.

Copy of the Mexican Secretary of Health birth certificate (PDF 271KB) (often called hospital birth certificate, “certificado de alumbramiento,” or “nacido vivo”). This document is given to the mother in the hospital soon after the child’s birth, and contains the baby’s footprint and the mother’s fingerprint. If you handed the original document intothe Mexican civil registry without keeping a copy, you may request a true copy from the civil registry’s files.

Proof of the parent(s) U.S. citizenship, such as an original U.S. birth certificate, passport, CRBA, Naturalization Certificate, or Certificate of Citizenship.

Proof of physical presence in the United States of the U.S. citizen parent(s): The U.S. citizen parent(s) will be asked to present documents proof of their physical presence in the United States, regardless of immigration status. Valid time includes when undocumented, as a Legal Permanent Resident, or as a U.S. citizen. All physical presence must have occurred prior to the birth of the child. Good examples of proof of physical presence includes vaccination records, baptismal certificate, military records, elementary and middle school report cards, high school and college transcripts and diplomas, income tax return, W2s (from employment held while in the United States), Social Security Statement, etc. The more you can provide, the easier it will be for the consular officer to approve the CRBA.

Proof of identity for each parent, such as a valid original passport, government-issued driver license, state ID, or voter registration card (PDF 65.1KB).

Marriage/Divorce Certificate(s): If parents are married, provide an original or certified copy of the marriage certificate and any prior divorce decrees. If you have been previously married, please provide proof (such as a divorce decree or death certificate) for all previous marriages.

* If the child is already of school age, proof of identity such as his/her Mexican school certificate(s)(PDF 129KB).

Pregnancy and birth recordsdated ultrasounds containing the name of the mother (PDF 137KB), laboratory test results, doctor/ultrasound/hospital receipts, pictures of the mother pregnant, pictures of mother and baby immediately following the birth and during the hospital stay. Baby and mother’s hospital identification bracelets, crib card, discharge orders, paid hospital bill.

Proof of relationship between parents: For example, time-stamped photos of the couple together before, during, and after the pregnancy, photos of the U.S. citizen parent with the newborn baby, Western Union money transfer receipts, birthday cards, email printouts, lease agreements, bank statements, home utility bills, or IRS tax declaration documents showing shared address, etc. Proof the couple was together at the time of conception, i.e. passport with entry and exit stamps, Mexican or U.S. temporary or legal residency documents, etc.

* If the child was conceived via assisted reproductive technology (ART)/surrogate, please read for additional important information. You must present all documents related to the child’s conception and birth, and we strongly recommend you set up a DNA testing ahead of time. You may request the Consulate to schedule your CRBA appointment in the morning and the DNA sample collection that same day in the afternoon.

* Documents in addition to those listed herein may be requested following the interview with a Consular Officer.

All payments are done at the consulate or embassy the day of your appointment.

Prepare the application fee of $100 USD. If you also wish to apply for a passport, the fee is $115 USD ($215 USD total). We accept U.S. dollars, Mexican pesos, or major credit cards (no mexican debit cards). You will pay at the Consulate on the day of the appointment. The fees are non-refundable.



You can make an appointment at your nearest office. Please keep in mind that each consulate has its own requirements on how to schedule an appointment for a CRBA. For more, please go to

Please arrive on time, or you will need to reschedule.

Adttional Information

Both parents and the child must personally appear. First, you will pass through an airport-style security screening. Next, you will take a number and then pay the CRBA application fee at the cashier window. Then, you will present your documents at a reception window. Finally, you will be interviewed by an American Consular Officer.

For a Consular Report of Birth Abroad application, only one parent is required to accompany the child to the interview.  If you are applying concurrently for the child’s first passport, both parents must appear before the consular officer in order to complete the application.  If this is not possible, the missing parent must submit a notarized form DS-3053 statement of the consent.

The child must be present at the time of the appointment.

Each consulate has an specific courier service. If you would like to know the additional delivery costs, please go to:

* Providing maternity/paternity and physical presence to transmit citizenship to a child is the responsibility of the parent(s), not the Consulate.

* Never assume that, because you successfully applied for another child’s U.S. citizenship, you do not need to bring any evidence to interviews for subsequent children. You must bring all supporting documents with you for each application.

* In some cases, Consular Officers may request DNA evidence to prove the biological relationship. If DNA evidence is requested, you will be given written instructions. You must follow the Consulate’s procedures, including that the DNA sample collection is witnessed by an American Consulate staff member and the use of an AABB accredited laboratory.

* You must bring hard-copy printouts of all documents, photos, ultrasounds, etc. No digital media will be accepted. We are not able to access the internet on your behalf to view evidence and documents associated with your application, and we are prohibited from inserting USBs, DVDs, etc. into our computer terminals.

*We strongly recommend you apply for the child’s Social Security number once you receive the actual CRBA and the U.S. passport. Please verify the Federal Benefits section in order to book an appointment.