U.S. Consulate Tijuana
Security Message for U.S. Citizens:
August 8, 2016
The U.S. Consulate General cautions U.S. citizens that Tropical Storm Javier is expected to make landfall near the southern tip of the Baja California Sur peninsula late this afternoon or evening, August 8, and move near the west coast of Baja California Sur tonight and Tuesday, August 9. The National Hurricane Center (NHC) and Mexican authorities issued a Hurricane Warning and Hurricane Watch affecting the southern tip of Baja California, including Cabo San Lucas and Todos Santos. The storm is expected to weaken as it moves northwest up the peninsula.
The storm is expected to produce total rain accumulations of 3 to 6 inches over coastal parts of the Mexican states of Sinaloa, Southern Sonora, and Baja California Sur, with possible isolated maximum amounts of 10 inches through Wednesday morning. Expect extremely high winds, dangerous storm tides, heavy rainfall, and possible flooding to occur.
All U.S. citizens living in or traveling to the area should monitor local weather reports, the Mexican government’s civil protection (“Protección Civil”) website http://www.proteccioncivil.gob.mx, follow directions from local officials, and take other appropriate actions as needed.
U.S. citizens are encouraged to also visit the following U.S. government websites for more information:
- Mexico Country Specific Information: http://www.travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_970.html
- Hurricane Season “Know Before You Go:” http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/emergencies/natural-disasters/HurricaneSeason.html
- National Hurricane Center: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information for Mexico.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Consulate in Tijuana, located at Paseo de las Culturas s/n, Mesa de Otay, Delegacion Centenario, C.P. 22425, Tijuana, Baja California, and is open Monday through Friday 7:30 a.m. to 4:15 p.m.
- You may also call 011-52-664-977-2000 during normal business hours and 001-619-692-2154 from Mexico or 619-692-2154 from the United States after-hours.
- Contact information for the U.S. Consulates General in Mexico can be found on the U.S. Embassy Mexico City website.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.