The U.S. Embassy cautions U.S. citizens that Tropical storm Beatriz is expected to strengthen and should approach or move over the Pacific coast of Mexico on Friday, June 2. The National Hurricane Center (NHC) has issued a Tropical Storm Watch for the Pacific coast of Mexico from Salina Cruz to Puerto Escondido. Maximum sustained winds are near 35 mph (55 km/h) with higher gusts. Slow strengthening is forecast during the next 48 hours, and the depression could become a tropical storm on Thursday, June 1. The tropical storm is expected to produce total rainfall accumulations of 8 to 12 inches across the Mexican state of Oaxaca with isolated maximum totals of 20 inches possible. These rainfall amounts may produce life-threatening flash floods and mudslides.
All U.S. citizens living in or traveling to the area should monitor local weather reports, the Mexican government’s civil protection (“Protección Civil”) website http://www.proteccioncivil.gob.mx, follow directions from local officials, and take other appropriate actions as needed.
U.S. citizens are encouraged to also visit the following U.S. government websites for more information:
• Mexico Country Specific Information: http://www.travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_970.html
• Hurricane Season “Know Before You Go:” http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/emergencies/natural-disasters/HurricaneSeason.html
• National Hurricane Center: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information for Mexico.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Mexico City, located at Paseo de la Reforma 305, Colonia Cuauhtémoc, Mexico D.F. 06500, and is open Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- You may also call 011-52-55-5080-2000 during normal business hours and after-hours.
- Contact information for the U.S. Consulates General in Mexico can be found on the U.S. Embassy Mexico City website.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
Follow us on Twitter and Facebook