Message for U.S. Citizens – U.S. Consulate General, Guadalajara (January 19, 2021)
Test of Tsunami Alarm System
Jalisco Civil Protection plans to test the tsunami warning alarm system on Wednesday, January 20, 2021 and Friday, January 22, 2021. The alarm is a siren and will be accompanied by a voice recording in Spanish. It will be heard along the coast in the State of Jalisco including the Puerto Vallarta area. It is only a test and no action is required by visitors or residents.
Learn more about what to do in the event of a tsunami here: https://www.ready.gov/tsunamis
In the event of a weather emergency, we encourage you to take the following actions:
- Monitor the local news for updates, follow directions from local officials, and in case of emergency call 911.
- Monitor the U.S. National Hurricane Center, the Mexican National Meteorological Service(Servicio Meteorológico Nacional), and the MexicanCivil Protection Agency(Protección Civil) for updates on storm activity and emergency response.
- Keep your friends and loved ones up-to-date about your whereabouts – via phone, text, and social media – and let them know you are safe when possible.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19for information on conditions in Mexico.
- Visit theDepartment of State’s Hurricanes, Typhoons, and Cyclones pagefor more information.
- If you are a U.S. citizen traveling to or residing in Mexico, enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive safety messages and other travel information.
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive security updates.