The U.S. Consular Agency in Acapulco will be closed today, September 14, due to weather conditions related to Hurricane Max. Hurricane Max is expected to make landfall today, Thursday, September 14, near Acapulco. The government of Mexico has issued a Hurricane Warning for the southwest coast of Guerrero, Mexico from Zihuatanejo to Punta Maldonado. Maximum sustained winds are near 75 mph (120 km/h) with higher gusts. Max is expected to produce total rainfall accumulations of 5 – 10 inches with maximum totals of 20 inches across portions of the Mexican states of Guerrero and Oaxaca. These rainfall amounts may produce life-threatening flash floods and mudslides.
All U.S. citizens living in or traveling to the area should monitor local weather reports, the Mexican government’s civil protection (“Protección Civil”) website http://www.proteccioncivil.gob.mx, follow directions from local officials, and take other appropriate actions as needed.
U.S. citizens are encouraged to also visit the following U.S. government websites for more information:
- Mexico Country Specific Information: http://www.travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_970.html
- Hurricane Season “Know Before You Go:” http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/emergencies/natural-disasters/HurricaneSeason.html
- National Hurricane Center: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel websitefor the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information for Mexico.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program(STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Mexico City, located at Paseo de la Reforma 305, Colonia Cuauhtémoc, Mexico D.F. 06500, and is open Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- You may also call 011-52-55-5080-2000 during normal business hours and after-hours.
- Contact information for the U.S. Consulates General in Mexico can be found on the U.S. Embassy Mexico City website.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).