U.S. Consulate General Ciudad Juarez
Security Message: Violence in Western Chihuahua
June 29, 2017
This message is to inform U.S. citizens that drug trafficking conflicts have recently grown more violent in the western region of the state of Chihuahua. There is a likelihood of additional violence among drug cartels in the areas of Palomas, Janos, and Nuevo Casas Grandes. Information indicates this uptick in violence is likely to continue through the near future.
U.S. government personnel are required to travel to Nuevo Casas Grandes (see Travel Warning) through Palomas, an area where Mexican State Police recently arrested nine cartel members and discovered a large stash of weapons and drugs. The U.S. Consulate General in Ciudad Juarez has advised its personnel to be very cautious about travel in this region and review local media to be aware of possible threats, law enforcement activity, and cartel violence. U.S. citizens should take this into consideration and monitor local media when planning travel in the western part of the state of Chihuahua.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel websitefor the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information for Mexico.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program(STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Consulate General in Ciudad Juarez, located at Paseo de la Victoria #3650, Fracc. Partido Senecu, Ciudad Juarez, Chihuahua, Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., tel. 656-227-3000. If dialing from the United States, dial 011-52-656-227-3000.
- The after-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is also 656-227-3000. If dialing from the United States, dial 011-52-656-227-3000.
- Contact information for other U.S. Consulates General in Mexico can be found on the U. Embassy Mexico Citywebsite.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.