The U.S. Embassy cautions U.S. citizens that Tropical Storm Ramon is expected to continue moving along the southwestern coast of Mexico. The Mexican Metrological Service issued a Tropical Storm Watch for the coast of Mexico from Puerto Angel, Oaxaca to Acapulco, Guerrero. Tropical Storm Ramon is expected to produce rainfall amounts of 2 to 4 inches with isolated maximum amounts of 6 inches over the Mexican states of Oaxaca and coastal Guerrero through Thursday, October 5. This rainfall could cause life-threatening flash floods and mudslides.
All U.S. citizens living in or traveling to the area should monitor local weather reports, the Mexican government’s civil protection (“Protección Civil”) website http://www.proteccioncivil.gob.mx, follow directions from local officials, and take other appropriate actions as needed.
U.S. citizens are encouraged to also visit the following U.S. government websites for more information:
- Mexico Country Specific Information: http://www.travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_970.html
- Hurricane Season “Know Before You Go”: http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/emergencies/natural-disasters/HurricaneSeason.html
- National Hurricane Center: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information for Mexico.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the S. Embassy in Mexico City, located at Paseo de la Reforma 305, Colonia Cuauhtémoc, Mexico D.F. 06500, and is open Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- You may also call 011-52-55-5080-2000 during normal business hours and after-hours.
- Contact information for the U.S. Consulates General in Mexico can be found on the U.S. Embassy Mexico City website.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries, from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).