August 8, 2017
The U.S. Embassy cautions U.S. citizens that Tropical Storm Franklin is expected to strengthen during the evening of Tuesday, August 8 through Wednesday, August 9 as the storm leaves the Yucatan peninsula and moves over the Bay of Campeche. The National Hurricane Center (NHC) along with the Mexican Metrological Service have issued a Hurricane Watch for the coast of the Gulf of Mexico from Puerto de Veracruz to Rio Panuco. A Tropical Storm Warning is in effect for the coast of Mexico from Chetumal to Sabancuy and a Tropical Storm Watch is in effect for the coast of Mexico from Sabancuy to Puerto de Veracruz. Franklin is expected be near the coast of mainland Mexico Wednesday evening, August 9 or early Thursday, August 10. Franklin is projected to bring 4 to 8 inches of rainfall with isolated amounts up to 15 inches through Thursday to northern Veracruz, Puebla, Tlaxcala, Hidalgo, and eastern San Louis Potosi in eastern Mexico. These rains will be capable of producing life-threatening flash floods and mudslides.
All U.S. citizens living in or traveling to the area should monitor local weather reports, the Mexican government’s civil protection (“Protección Civil”) website http://www.proteccioncivil.gob.mx, follow directions from local officials, and take other appropriate actions as needed.
U.S. citizens are encouraged to also visit the following U.S. government websites for more information:
- Mexico Country Specific Information: http://www.travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_970.html
- Hurricane Season “Know Before You Go:” http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/emergencies/natural-disasters/HurricaneSeason.html
- National Hurricane Center: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel websitefor the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information for Mexico.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program(STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the S. Embassy in Mexico City, located at Paseo de la Reforma 305, Colonia Cuauhtémoc, Mexico D.F. 06500, and is open Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- You may also call 011-52-55-5080-2000 during normal business hours and after-hours.
- Contact information for the U.S. Consulates General in Mexico can be found on the S. Embassy Mexico City website.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).