August 7, 2017
The U.S. Consulate General in Merida continues to monitor Tropical Storm Franklin (Tropical Cyclone 7) and cautions U.S. citizens that the storm is expected to strengthen and should move over the Yucatan Peninsula this evening, Monday, August 7. The Government of Mexico has issued a Hurricane Watch from Chetumal north to Punta Allen and a Tropical Storm Warning from Chetumal northward and around the Yucatan Peninsula to Campeche. Maximum sustained winds are near 50 mph (75 km/h) with higher gusts. Strengthening is expected, and Franklin could be near hurricane strength by the time landfall occurs this evening. The storm is expected to produce total rainfall accumulations of 3 to 6 inches with isolated amounts of around 12 inches over the Yucatan Peninsula through Wednesday. These rains could result in life-threatening flash floods.
All U.S. citizens living in or traveling to the area should monitor local weather reports, the Mexican government’s civil protection (“Protección Civil”) website http://www.proteccioncivil.gob.mx, follow directions from local officials, and take other appropriate actions as needed.
U.S. citizens are encouraged to also visit the following U.S. government websites for more information:
– Mexico Country Specific Information: http://www.travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_970.html
– Hurricane Season “Know Before You Go:” http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/emergencies/natural-disasters/HurricaneSeason.html
– National Hurricane Center: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/
For further information:
– Contact the U.S. Consulate General in Merida, located at Calle 60 #338K, por 29 y 31, Colonia Alcala Martin C.P. 9705. and is open Monday through Friday 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
– You may also call 011-52-999-942-5700 during normal business hours and after-hours.
– Contact information for the U.S. Consulates General in Mexico can be found on the U.S. Embassy Mexico City website.
– Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).