Location: San Cristobal, Chiapas, Mexico
Event: U.S. Embassy Mexico City has received reports of violence in San Cristobal, Chiapas following the killing of a local businessman. On the evening of April 17, media reported the presence of large numbers of armed individuals in the Ojo de Agua neighborhood. In addition, there were reports of gunfire in the Zona Norte and military convoy movement in the area. Today, media report that local businesses and schools are closed. U.S. citizens should exercise increased caution if traveling in or around San Cristobal. The U.S. Embassy reminds U.S. citizens that the Department of State’s Travel Advisory for Chiapas is classified as Level 2: Exercise Increased Caution due to crime.
Actions to Take:
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Maintain a high level of vigilance and keep a low profile.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Review your personal security plans and follow the instructions of local authorities.
- Call 911 if you need emergency assistance.
- Contact Form
- U.S. Embassy and Consulates in Mexico
- From Mexico: (55) 8526 2561
- From the United States: 1-844-528-6611
- Department of State – Consular Affairs: +1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444