Location: Chiapas State
Event: Violence Between Criminal Organizations
The state of Chiapas has recently experienced heightened violence among criminal organizations including violent clashes in San Cristobal de Las Casas and the highway 145d between Tuxtla and Raudales de Malpaso. U.S. citizens should expect to encounter increased Mexican military and National Guard presence in and around San Cristobal de Las Casas. Criminal activity and violence may occur throughout the state, and criminal organization assassinations and territorial disputes can result in bystanders being injured or killed. The Department of State’s Travel Advisory for Chiapas is Level 2 – Exercise Increased Caution due to crime.
Actions to Take:
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Maintain a high level of vigilance and keep a low profile.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Review your personal security plans and follow the instructions of local authorities.
- Call 911 if you need emergency assistance.
From Mexico: (55) 8526 2561
From the United States: 1-844-528-6611
Department of State – Consular Affairs: +1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444