Location: Bay of Campeche and Areas of the Southern Gulf of Mexico
Event: Maritime Travel Safety in the Bay of Campeche and Southern Gulf of Mexico
Armed criminal groups have been known to target and rob commercial vessels, oil platforms, and offshore supply vessels in the Bay of Campeche area in the southern Gulf of Mexico. The U.S. Department of State updated the Travel Advisory and Country Information page for Mexico on June 17, 2020, to reflect this information.
The overall Travel Advisory level for Mexico remains Level 2 – Exercise Increased Caution, with some areas designated Level 3 or Level 4. Travelers are encouraged to read the entire Advisory. The national and state Advisory levels remain unchanged from the update published on December 19, 2019.
The Department of State issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory for COVID-19 on March 31. This is still in effect. The Department advises U.S. citizens to avoid all international travel due to the global impact of COVID-19. In countries where commercial departure options remain available, such as Mexico, U.S. citizens who live in the United States should arrange for immediate return to the United States, unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period. Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Mexico.
Actions to Take:
- Mariners planning travel to Mexico should check for U.S. maritime advisories and alerts at https://www.maritime.dot.gov/msci-alerts, which nclude instructions on reporting suspicious activities and attacks to Mexican naval authorities.
- Prepare a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
- For Emergency Assistance for U.S. citizens in Mexico, call (55) 8526 2561 from Mexico or 1-844-528-6611 from the United States.
- The U.S. Embassy in Mexico City is located at:
Paseo de la Reforma 305
06500, Ciudad de México
- State Department – Consular Affairs: 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
- Follow the U.S. Embassy in Mexico on Facebook and Twitter.