Location: Municipalities of Santa Ana, Magdalena de Kino, and Imuris (Sonora state, Mexico)
Event: Travelers should exercise increased caution when traveling in and around the municipalities of Santa Ana, Magdalena de Kino, and Imuris in Sonora state due to ongoing criminal violence. There have been recent reports of carjackings, killings, and armed attacks in the vicinity of Federal Highway 15 between Santa Ana and Imuris, many of which have taken place during the day.
Actions to Take:
- Review Mexico Country Information and Travel Advisory.
- Exercise increased caution when traveling on Federal Highway 15 between Santa Ana and Imuris.
- Remain vigilant during the daylight hours and avoid travel at night.
- Monitor the local news for updates, follow directions from local officials, and in case of emergency call 911.
- Keep your friends and loved ones up-to-date on your whereabouts – via phone, text, and social media – and let them know you are safe, when possible.
- If you are a U.S. citizen traveling to, or residing in Mexico, enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program to receive safety messages and other travel information.
For Emergency Assistance for U.S. citizens in Mexico, call 55-8526-2561 from Mexico or 844-528-6611 from the United States.
U.S. Consulate General, Nogales:
Calle Alejandria S/N, Los Alamos, 84065
Nogales, Son., Mexico
From Mexico: 814-160-5512
From the United States: (844) 528-6611
Fax: 011 52 (631) 313-4652
- Mexico Country Information and Travel Advisory
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program to receive safety messages and other travel information.
- State Department – Consular Affairs: +1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
- Follow the U.S. Embassy in Mexico on Facebook and Twitter.