Security Alert — U.S. Consulate General Ciudad Juarez (January 18, 2019)
Location: Ciudad Juarez and Chihuahua City, Mexico
Event: The Consulate General is aware of a series of connected attacks against police officers in Ciudad Juarez and Chihuahua City that started on January 17, 2019. Authorities believe that members of organized criminal groups are carrying out these attacks, which are expected to continue. U.S. government personnel have been advised to avoid police stations and other law enforcement facilities in both cities to the extent possible until further notice.
Actions to Take:
- For police and other emergency assistance, dial 911.
- Be aware of your surroundings at all times.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Use caution when driving in heavy traffic or at night.
- Drive with your doors locked and windows up.
- Be prepared to take alternative routes between home and work and other frequent locations.
U.S. Consulate General in Ciudad Juarez
Paseo de la Victoria #3650, Fracc. Partido Senecu
Ciudad Juarez, Chihuahua
01-656-344-3032 (Within Mexico)
1-844-528-6611 (From the United States)
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.