Location: Quintana Roo, Mexico
Event: In the wake of recent incidents involving taxi and Uber drivers in Quintana Roo, U.S. citizens are reminded of guidance provided on Travel.State.gov, specifically about the use of application-based transportation services in Mexico, which states: Application-based car services such as Uber and Cabify are available in many Mexican cities, and generally offer another safe alternative to taxis. Official complaints against Uber and other drivers do occur, however, and past disputes between these services and local taxi unions have occasionally turned violent, resulting in injuries to U.S. citizens in some instances.
Actions to Take:
- Review our recommendations for your destination in our Travel Advisory for Mexico.
- In light of widely publicized security incidents in popular tourist destinations, please remember that all destinations have some level of risk. Violent crime – such as homicide, kidnapping, carjacking, and robbery – is widespread and common in Mexico.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Be aware of your surroundings and maintain a low profile.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Call 911 in Mexico for immediate assistance.
- From the United States: 1-844-528-6611
- Department of State – Consular Affairs: +1-888-407-4747 or +1-201-501-4444