U.S. Consulate General Matamoros
Following last night’s clashes between Mexican authorities and criminal armed groups, U.S. consulate officials in Matamoros will restrict their movements to home, work, and U.S. Ports of Entry during daylight hours and shelter in place between 7:00 P.M. and 6:00 A.M.
The State Department recommends U.S. citizens do not travel to the State of Tamaulipas due to crime and kidnapping. See here for the full text of our Mexico Travel Advisory.
Actions to Take:
- Assess your personal security and movements throughout Matamoros.
- Monitor the local news for updates, follow directions from local officials, and in case of emergency, call 911.
- Avoid crowds.
- Keep a low profile.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Contact the U.S. Consulate or Embassy if you need assistance.
From Mexico: (55) 8526 2561
From the United States: 1-844-528-6611
Department of State – Consular Affairs: +1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444