Location: Zacatecas, Mexico
Event: New Restrictions on U.S. Government Employee Travel
U.S. government employees may no longer travel to Zacatecas state, with the exception of air travel to and from Zacatecas City. U.S. government employees may not travel to Zacatecas City overland.
Zacatecas state has experienced violent turf battles between cartels. The state’s homicide rate in 2021 was more than double the previous year’s rate, and was the highest in Mexico. U.S. citizens and Lawful Permanent Residents (LPR) have been victims of kidnapping.
Actions to Take:
- Do Not Travel to Zacatecas, except Zacatecas City proper by air.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for updates, and in case of emergency, call 911.
- Contact Form
- U.S. Embassy and Consulates in Mexico
- From Mexico: (55) 8526 2561
- From the United States: 1-844-528-6611
- Department of State – Consular Affairs: 1-888-407-4747 or 1-202-501-444
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter