Security Alert – U.S. Consulate General Tijuana, Mexico – (April 23, 2021)
Location: Mexicali Valley, Baja California
Event: Cartel Violence
This Security Alert replaces the Security Alert of April 9, 2021.
Travelers should avoid the Mexicali Valley until further notice due to the heightened possibility of violence between rival cartel factions. The boundaries of the Mexicali Valley are defined by the area east of Highway 5 (but not including Highway 5), the area south of Highway 2D/Highway 2 (but not including Highways 2D and 2), the area west of the Baja California/Sonora border, and north of La Ventana/Gulf of California in the state of Baja California.
Actions to Take:
- Review Mexico Country Information and Travel Advisory.
- Remain vigilant during the daylight hours and avoid travel at night.
- Monitor the local news for updates, follow directions from local officials, and in case of emergency call 911.
- Keep your friends and loved ones up to date on your whereabouts – via phone, text, and social media – and let them know you are safe, when possible.
- If you are a U.S. citizen traveling to, or residing in Mexico, enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program to receive safety messages and other travel information.
- For Emergency Assistance for U.S. citizens in Mexico, call (55) 8526 2561 from Mexico or 1-844-528-6611 from the United States.
- U.S. Consulate General Tijuana, Mexico
- Mexico Country Information
- Follow U.S. Department of State Travel.gov on Facebook and Twitter.
- Follow the U.S. Consulate Tijuana on Facebook and Twitter.