Location: Municipality of Caborca, Mexican State of Sonora
Event: The U.S. Consulate General Nogales has received credible reports of ongoing cartel violence in the municipality of Caborca and the surrounding areas, including heavily armed groups patrolling in that area, with active fighting and attacks among the cartel factions. Until further notice, U.S. government personnel are prohibited from traveling on Highway 2 from Santa Ana to Sonoyta. Please review the Mexico Travel Advisory for information on additional travel restrictions for U.S. government personnel in the state of Sonora and throughout Mexico. The Consulate advises the following actions:
Actions to Take:
- Avoid travel on Highway 2 from Santa Ana to Sonoyta.
- Avoid travel after dark.
- Monitor the local news for updates, follow directions from local officials, and in case of emergency call 911.
- Keep your friends and loved ones up-to-date on your whereabouts – via phone, text, and social media – and let them know you are safe, when possible.
- If you are a U.S. citizen traveling to, or residing in Mexico, enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program to receive safety messages and other travel information.
- For Emergency Assistance for U.S. citizens in Mexico, (55) 8526-2561 from Mexico or +1-844-528-6611 from the United States.
- The U.S. Consulate General Nogales is located at:
Calle Alejandria S/N,
Los Alamos, 84065
Nogales, Son., Mexico
From Mexico: 81-4160-5512
From the U.S.: (844) 528-6611
Fax: 011 52 (631) 313-4652
- State Department – Consular Affairs: +1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444