An official website of the United States government

Replacing a Limited-Validity Emergency Passport/Reemplazando un Pasaporte de Emergencia con Validez Limitada 

You were issued a limited validity U.S. passport.  It can be used for travel and to identify you as a U.S. citizen.  You may replace it with a full validity passport, within a year of issuance at no charge.

Submit the following items before your passport expires: 

  • The completed and signed DS-5504 form Follow the instructions on page 2 of the DS-5504 form regarding Additional Documents for Limited Passport Replacement if applicable.  This information replaces the “letter included with your passport” referred to on page 2. 
  • A new 5×5 cm U.S. passport style photo 
  • The limited validity U.S. passport you are replacing

To replace your limited validity passport in Mexico, follow the DHL Shipping Instructions carefully.

To replace your limited validity passport in the United States, send the above items to the address on the DS-5504 form. 

Further documentation may be requested by a passport agency in the United States during the exchange process to receive a full-validity passport.    


Reemplazando un Pasaporte de Emergencia con Validez Limitada 

Expedimos para usted un pasaporte EE. UU. con validez limitada.  Puede ser usado para viajar y como identificación de que es usted un ciudadano estadounidense.   Puede reemplazarlo por un pasaporte de validez completa sin costo dentro del primer año a partir de la fecha que se le expidió.  

Entregue lo siguiente antes de que su pasaporte expire:  

  • El pasaporte de EE. UU. limitado que está reemplazando 

Para reemplazar su pasaporte limitado en Mexico, envie los documentos mencionados arriba.

Para reemplazar su pasaporte de validez limitada en los Estados Unidos, envíe los elementos anteriores a la dirección que figura en el DS-5504 form. 

La agencia de pasaportes en los Estados Unidos puede requerir más documentos mientras procesan su solicitud para un pasaporte de validez completa.