Applicants resident in Mexico may apply by mail to replace a limited-validity emergency passport, request a passport correction, or request a passport name change if they meet the criteria for any of the following three categories:
1. Replace a Limited Passport: You are eligible if your passport is undamaged, was issued within the last year, and the endorsement page reads either “This passport expires on (MON, DY, YEAR) and cannot be extended.”, or “This passport is a replacement for a Lost/Stolen/Damaged Passport and expires on (MON, DY, YEAR). It cannot be extended.” If the text is different, you must contact us for guidance.
2. Name Change: You are eligible if your name changed less than one year after your U.S. passport book and/or card was issued and your U.S. passport book and/or card is less than one year old. You must submit a certified name change document such as a certified copy of your marriage or divorce certificate indicating a name change, or a certified copy of a court order showing a seal and officiate/judge´s signature. If you are unable to document your name change in this manner, you must apply on form DS-11 and schedule a regular appointment to come in person for interview.
3. Correction: You are eligible if there is an error in your valid U.S. passport book and/or card. You must submit the appropriate original document showing the correct biographical information (e.g. certified birth certificate or marriage certificate). Your new passport will have the same expiration date as the previous passport.
If you meet the criteria for any of the three categories above, please follow the steps below to mail in your application and documents:
1. Application: Complete the DS-5504 form. You must print your form single-sided. Only forms generated using the Passport Application Form Filler Wizard and displaying a barcode will be accepted. You must provide a Social Security number, if you have been issued one. If you do not have a Social Security number, you must enter all zeros on the form and submit a statement, signed and dated. Click here for more information. If the Form Filler generates a DS-11 or DS-82, discontinue following the below instructions and click here for how to apply.
You must complete all pages of the DS-5504 form and sign it as follows:
2. Most Recent Passport and Photocopies: Submit your most recent passport with your signed application, along with a photocopy of the biographic information page containing your photo and of the endorsement page (endorsement should read “This passport expires on (MON, DY, YEAR) and cannot be extended”). Your old passport book will be returned to you.
3. Photo: Provide one 5×5 cm photograph compliant with the photo requirements.
4. Payment: No fee is required for eligible applicants.
5. Return Waybill: We will use the waybill to mail you your new passport, old passport, and any other original documents you sent us. If replacing a passport book and card, you must provide two waybills. Please follow the instructions at step 6 for how to purchase.
6. Mail Your Documents: Mail your complete package with all the requirements previously listed applicable to one of our two processing locations:
If your package is incomplete we will send it back to you without processing.
Our current processing time is 4-6 weeks plus courier delivery times. If you are traveling within the next 6 weeks and need your passport sooner, you will not be able to apply though this program and get a free replacement. You will be required to pay processing fees and come in person for an interview.