An official website of the United States government

Birth Abroad And Eligibility for U.S. Citizenship

Consular Report of Birth Abroad

Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) certifies the acquisition of U.S. citizenship at birth for a person born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or parents who meet the requirements to transmit citizenship under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).  U.S. non-citizen nationals are also eligible for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, using the non-citizen option.

Eligibility Requirements

To apply for a CRBA in Mexico, your child must be under 18 years of age and must appear in person at the embassy or one of our nine consulates.  Generally, both parents must attend the interview.  To see if your child may qualify for U.S. citizenship at birth see Acquisition of U.S. Citizenship at Birth by a Child Born Abroad and Birth of U.S. Citizens and Non-Citizen Nationals Abroad.

How to Apply (online application and payment)

  • Create an account with MyTravelGov.  MyTravelGov is a secure, encrypted portal. Watch this video to learn about creating your account.
  • Once you create a MyTravelGov account, access eCRBA and submit your application online. The online process provides applicants with step-by-step instructions to complete the application.
  • Review the required documents for the CRBA application using this checklist.
  • Complete the online application and submit payment. You will be directed to schedule your appointment.   Schedule your appointment at least 72 hours after payment to provide time for your payment to process prior to your appointment.
  • Attend your in-person interview appointment with your original documents and their single-sided photocopies. Original documents will be returned to you.  The child must be present at interview appointment. Generally, both parents must attend the interview.

How to Apply (paper)

  • If not eligible to complete your CRBA application and payment online, complete and submit this form.

Need Help?

Other Important Information

A Social Security Number application can be submitted after receiving the original Consular Report of Birth Abroad and U.S. passport. To obtain a Social Security Number for your child, consult our Federal Benefits Unit page.