Natural Disaster Alert – U.S. Embassy, Mexico (June 23, 2020)
Location: Oaxaca state and surrounding areas
Event: A 7.4 earthquake occurred at 10:29 a.m. local time near the town of Huatulco, Oaxaca, affecting the state of Oaxaca and neighboring states of Chiapas, Puebla, and Guerrero. Some areas may be affected by power outages and the extent of damage is not yet known. There may be disruptions to transportation and services in the affected area.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor local media for updates on earthquake activity and emergency response.
- Follow directions from local officials, and in case of emergency, call 911.
- Follow Oaxaca state’s Civil Protection‘s twitter account for updates.
- If you are a U.S. Citizen traveling to or residing in Mexico, enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive safety messages and other travel information.
- Keep your friends and loved ones up-to-date about your whereabouts – via phone, text, social media, etc. – and let them know you are safe when possible.
- U.S. Embassy in Mexico City
01-55-8526-2561 (From Mexico)
1-844-528-6611 (From the United States)
- State Department – Consular Affairs: 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Mexico Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow U.S. Department of State Travel.gov on Facebook and Twitter.
- Follow U.S. Embassy Mexico City on Facebook and Twitter.