Location: Acapulco (Guerrero state) and surrounding areas.
Event: A 7.1 magnitude earthquake occurred at 8:47 p.m. CST with epicenter approximately 16 km from Acapulco (Guerrero state) and affecting neighboring areas including Mexico City. A number of aftershocks have also been reported. The extent of damage is not yet known. There are reports of localized power outages and there may be disruptions to transportation and services in the affected areas.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor local media for updates on earthquake activity and emergency response.
- Follow directions from local officials, and in case of emergency, call 911.
- Follow Guerrero state’s Civil Protection Facebook account for updates.
- If you are a U.S. Citizen traveling to or residing in Mexico, enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive safety messages and other travel information.
- Keep your friends and loved ones up-to-date about your whereabouts – via phone, text, social media, etc. – and let them know you are safe when possible.
- U.S. Embassy Mexico City.
- From Mexico: (55) 8526 2561
- From the United States: 1-844-528-6611
- American Citizen Services Contact Form.
- Mexico Country Information.
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- State Department – Consular Affairs: 1-888-407-4747 or 1-202-501-4444
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
- Follow the U.S. Embassy in Mexico and the U.S. Consulate in Merida on Facebook and Twitter.
- Review Mexico Country Information.
- Review the Crime and Safety Reports for Mexico.
- Prepare a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.