Message to U.S. Citizens: U.S. Embassy Mexico City (July 21, 2021)
Are you a U.S. citizen in Mexico that needs to renew your passport? Do you need to travel soon? Passport processing at the U.S. Embassy and Consulates in Mexico is limited as a result of the pandemic. However, you have the following options:
1) Return directly to the United States with an expired passport: U.S. citizens in Mexico with an undamaged, full-validity passport that expired on or after January 1, 2020, can use their expired passport to return directly to the United States until December 31, 2021. Please review the complete list of eligibility requirements. Keep in mind, it can take as long as 18 weeks to renew your passport in the United States. Check the latest processing times.
2) Use our drop-off passport renewal program: You might not need an appointment if you were over the age of 16 when you received your most recent, 10-year passport and still have the undamaged passport. Please review the program’s requirements to determine whether you qualify for our drop-off passport renewal program.
3) Get a routine appointment: If your U.S. passport expired on or before December 31, 2019, or you do not qualify for the drop-off renewal program, please visit our website to apply for your passport. Is an appointment at your nearest location not available soon enough? Consider applying at another of our 18 locations throughout Mexico.
4) Get an emergency appointment: If you have emergency travel within the next two weeks, request an emergency appointment.
Actions to Take:
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency. To modify your enrollment and subscription to alerts, you must log in to STEP.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Mexico.
- Learn about the latest status of consular operations at the Embassy, Consulates, and Consular Agencies.
- For Emergency Assistance for U.S. citizens in Mexico, call (55) 8526 2561 from Mexico or 1-844-528-6611 from the United States.
- The U.S. Embassy in Mexico City is located at:
Paseo de la Reforma 305
06500, Ciudad de México
Contact Us Electronically
- State Department – Consular Affairs: 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
- Follow the U.S. Embassy in Mexico on Facebook and Twitter.
- Review the Crime and Safety Reports for Mexico.
- Prepare a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.