Event: Joint Statement on US-Mexico Joint Initiative to Combat the COVID-19 Pandemic
The United States and Mexico agree on the need for a dedicated joint effort to prevent spread of the COVID-19 virus and address the economic effects resulting from reduced mobility along our shared border. The U.S. and Mexican governments further recognize critical services such as food, fuel, healthcare, and life-saving medicines must reach people on both sides of the border every day. Essential travel must therefore continue unimpeded during this time. In order to ensure that essential travel can continue, the United States and Mexico are also temporarily restricting all non-essential travel across its borders.
This action does not prevent U.S. citizens from returning home. This action does not apply to air travel.
These restrictions are temporary and go into effect on March 21, 2020. They will remain in effect through 11:59 pm on April 20, 2020. This decision has been coordinated with the Governments of Mexico and Canada. Please see our Frequently Asked Questions for further information on the temporary limitations on nonessential travel.
Actions to Take:
- Learn more about the temporary limitations on our webpage.
- Visit Customs and Border Protection’s website for more information on operations and wait times at ports of entry between Mexico and the United States.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Many travelers worldwide have reported unexpected flight cancellations and limited flight availibility. Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Mexico.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- For Emergency Assistance for U.S. citizens in Mexico, call 81 4160 5512 from Mexico or 1-844-528-6611 from the United States.
- The U.S. Embassy in Mexico City is located
Paseo de la Reforma 305
06500, Ciudad de México
- State Department – Consular Affairs: 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444 • Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
- Follow the U.S. Embassy in Mexico on Facebook and Twitter.
- Review the Crime and Safety Reports for Mexico.
- Prepare a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.